Jaime Gomez Arellano (Ghost, Paradise Lost, Sunn O))) shares his perspective on natural drum production, what you can buy today that will level up your productions immediately, and when enough compression is enough.
Modern tools like samples, plugins, and amp sims definitely have a place in many productions. Don’t let anyone fool you into thinking otherwise. However, it’s always intriguing to chat with a producer like Jaime that takes the extra time to do things with more of an analog approach. There’s tons of info in this episode for those of you interested in classic production techniques.
“I’ve had records where it’s like: I can’t get it to sound louder without making it sound bad. So, I just need to leave it there, because I don’t want it to sound bad.” – Jaime Gomez Arellano
ON THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN ABOUT:
– Starting every project with a “clean slate”
– How to get the most out of going to a music school
– How Jaime went about starting his studio
– Putting in the time and getting your name out there when you’re starting out
– Why you should limit your recording session time
– Why you should be careful with high end instruments that the artist has toured with
– And much, much more
Thanks for listening!
Sign up to our to discover more!
Nail The Mix is our online mixing school that gives you REAL multi-tracks from REAL bands, plus a mixing class from the producer who recorded it. Past guests include Periphery, Chelsea Grin, Machine Head and State Champs. Join now for instant access!
Leave any questions, comments, or feedback in the comment section below.