Gene Hoglan. “The Human Drum Machine.” Strapping Young Lad, Death, Testament, Dark Angel. The list of seminal works that he’s been a part of would be a mile long.
When one of the greatest drummers of all time offers his insight you pay attention. From how to keep your chops up to effectively communicating with musicians to what you should be aiming for with a metal drum production, this episode is full of info whether you’re a player or a producer.
“Life’s tough. Get a helmet.” – Gene Hoglan
ON THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN ABOUT:
– How Gene developed his style of drumming
– Comparing modern metal drum production to the early days of extreme metal
– His time with bands like Death, Strapping Young Lad, and Dark Angel
– Why you’d better figure out how to make those ghost notes translate
– The ideal studio session
– Why Gene isn’t hard on himself when he messes up
– And much, much more
Pictures from Eyal’s time at camp:
The “road” next to the airport
Thanks for listening!
Sign up to our [cp_modal id=”cp_id_7934d”]mailing list[/cp_modal] to discover more!
Nail The Mix is our online mixing school that gives you REAL multi-tracks from REAL bands, plus a mixing class from the producer who recorded it. Past guests include Periphery, Chelsea Grin, Machine Head and State Champs. Join now for instant access!
Leave any questions, comments, or feedback in the comment section below.