We discuss some of our favorite drum mixing techniques.
If you don’t have a great drum mix, you don’t have a mix. This can be intimidating because there are so many moving pieces to deal with. The first thing you need to get right is your overall balance. Without that your drums will either lose energy or sound disjointed.
Once you nail an initial balance then you can start working on individual elements like how much energy is being driven by the kick, or dialing a slamming snare.
“50 to 60 percent of my snare sound doesn’t come from the actual snare.” – Joey Sturgis
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
– Joey’s favorite methods for compressing drums
– How to get a big roomy snare sound
– The importance of overall balances
– To parallel compress or to not parallel compress
– Using multi-band compression to control the low end of a kick
– Drum mixing automation tricks
Thanks for listening!
Sign up to our to discover more!
Nail The Mix is our online mixing school that gives you REAL multi-tracks from REAL bands, plus a mixing class from the producer who recorded it. Past guests include Periphery, Chelsea Grin, Machine Head and State Champs. Join now for instant access!
Leave any questions, comments, or feedback in the comment section below.