Mastering engineer Brad Blackwood (Korn, Lamb of God, Maroon 5) sits in with us to talk everything from how he sets up his mental space at the beginning of the day, to the one tool he wouldn’t be able to work without, and his lone wolf approach.
Still have questions about mastering? Yeah, you do. Everybody does! Mastering might as well be ancient black magic for a lot of us. Luckily, on this episode, we’ve got Brad Blackwood along to pull back the curtain to show that it’s not actually magic, but it is often misunderstood.
“I’ve really made it a point to listen to all kinds of music, all the time.” – Brad Blackwood
ON THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN ABOUT:
– Brad’s history and early beginnings at Ardent Studios
– His favorite pieces of gear
– The ins and outs of invoices and payments
– Why Euphonic Mastering is a lone wolf operation
– Brad’s methodology on resetting his ears to prevent sonic biasing
– Whether or not shadowing a pro is the most productive means to an end or not
– And much, much more
Thanks for listening!
Sign up to our to discover more!
Nail The Mix is our online mixing school that gives you REAL multi-tracks from REAL bands, plus a mixing class from the producer who recorded it. Past guests include Periphery, Chelsea Grin, Machine Head and State Champs. Join now for instant access!
Leave any questions, comments, or feedback in the comment section below.